Wednesday 6 February 2008

Yet more photos...

I'd love to hear some of the questions you have about what life is like here, what I do what I'm up to at work, or about EWB, TLC, Malawi in general . . . whatever! If you can think of any please do send them to me and I'll answer them either directly, or in an upcoming post!

In the meantime, here's an assortment of recent photos...I'll have a more substantial post up soon!

Sunset – A stunning sunset, as viewed from the window in my room. You can see our little garden of maize and pumpkins in the foreground.

Chameleon – My first wild chameleon spotting! This little critter was crossing my street onto my front lawn.

Lilongwe River –This is the Lilongwe river, as it runs through the old part of town. In a previous post I included photos of the wooden bridges that span the river at this point, providing a more direct route between two sides of the river. I mentioned how these bridges wash away during the rainy season, and from this photo you can see why (those large trees aren’t usually in the middle of the river…). At least a couple times this year the banks have flooded and knocked out many of the little restaurants and other stalls that are built on the banks, forcing people to rebuild time and time again.

Kasungu – A random street in Kasungu, a sizable town an hour and a bit north of Lilongwe.


Shops in Kasungu – Shops here often have somewhat amusing names. They often have Christian themes, but not in the two examples I've included.

Field of Tobacco – It is the rainy season now, so the farmers are busily tending to their rainfed crops, which, in general, may be one of two things: tobacco, or maize. Maize forms the basis of the Malawian diet while tobacco is, by far, the most significant export crop in Malawi. Last year, few farmers grew tobacco, so the sale prices were very high and these lucky farmers did extremely well. Other farmers made note of this, so this year, EVERYONE is growing tobacco. We’ll see what happens with those tobacco prices this year . . . I'll write more about tobacco in Malawi in an upcoming post!

Rain! - It is the rainy season now, and on any given day you can expect rain for some amount of time - not so convenient! This shot was taken at the tail end of a birdwatching walk I attended at the Lilongwe Wildlife Centre, which is located in a swath of woodland that cuts through the centre of the city.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That chameleon is not doing a very good job of disguising itself. How disappointing.

Anonymous said...

Wow, these photos are great! This is the place my father grew up, it's great to see what it looks like!

Unknown said...

where r u now

where is Paul.

Do u know Paul's gmail?

Best regards

from

Innocent Raisae Phiri-Malawi