Thursday 20 December 2007

Seasons Greetings from Malawi!

It seems that the Christmas season is upon us. While my friends and family back in Canada are busy with parties, family gatherings, last minute shopping and tree trimming, I find myself feeling very far away from it all . . .

This will be my first Christmas away from home, and I won’t lie – I’m pretty bummed about it. Though, I keep having to remind myself that it is already late December and that Christmas is just around the corner –the usual signs signalling the arrival of the Christmas season for me aren’t here to nearly the same degree! There are few Christmas parties, no crowded shopping malls, no Christmas lights, no snow. It is probably the warm weather that throws me off the most! Some of the grocery stores are decked out in Christmas decorations, and the Shoprite has been playing Christmas carols since the beginning of November, but aside from that, it is distinctly unfestive here, compared to what I’m accustomed to!

To get myself into the Christmas spirit, I've decked out a small portion of my room with decorations - much to the amusement of my roommates!

Photo 1: Posing by my decorations

Photo 2: My room

As far as Christmas celebrations go, I believe I'll be spending a few days at the lake with my roommates. Festivities here are kept quite low key it seems, and my roommates aren't even going to be spending the holidays with the rest of their family (who are all within a couple of hours of us).

Spending Christmas day by the beach will be quite a dramatic change from my usual celebrations, which take place at the farm of some wonderful family friends (I'll miss you guys this year!!!!).

Photo 3: Christmas dinner at the Monkmans' place

In other news, my boyfriend is arriving in Malawi on December 27th, and we'll be doing some travelling around together, which will be very nice!

In case I’m unable to post for a little while, I wish you all the merriest of Christmases and the happiest of new years!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

merry christmas kim! still love all your photos!

Unknown said...

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! love your decorations, hahhaa!

UDAYAKUMAR KM said...

Dear Kim,

You are a wonderful blogger. I am visiting your blog almost everyday curiously to find interesting posts related to your stay and work in malavi which are so beautifully explained. Keep it up
UDAYAKUMAR